Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Trash

     We had our first Parent/Teacher conference today. Just because, the nine weeks is almost over. The usual  standard, "Hey school has started, and let me show you how your kindergartner is doing."  All in all, it was good. She's where she's supposed to be. The biggest impression Grace has had is her lunch, and her sense of style. Yes, she is allowed to pick out her own clothes. As long as, it is weather appropriate, and within regulations, I'm ok with it. Case in point, there were tropical flowers, and hearts, and crowns. And that was just one outfit.
     As for her lunch. It was good feedback. The teacher was extremely impressed with the "healthy" lunches I pack. The first day, I sent kale chips. Easiest, simplest thing, pop them in the dehydrator, leave them for a few hours and they are done. Her teacher had never seen kale like that before, and was thoroughly taken off guard that this little five year old, not only knew what kale was, but would eat it, willingly.
     To top it off, I fill Grace's thermos with water. I made the mistake of trying to send her with lemonade, once. Evidently, she was expecting water, and she couldn't figure out what I did to make her water not taste like water. I was asked not do that again. So for the past almost nine weeks she has water in her lunch box, everyday.

So what, you may ask does trash have to do with any of the above paragraphs, well I am getting there.

      Last night we ran out of paper towels. I wrap a paper towel around her water bottle just in cases, and she has something to wiper her hands and face if she needs it. So this morning there were no paper towels. Gasp!! She didn't have a paper towel today. No biggie, I thought. Little did I know there were serious repercussions to follow.
      Later as she was cleaning out her lunch box, we were all informed that she would bringing trash tomorrow. To school.  Trash??? What??? Yes, trash. "Like a plastic bag, or box, or something like that."

     Since I make chips, she has a reusable box for her sandwich, or macaroni and cheese, and she drinks water, the only thing she has to throw away is, yup, you guessed,  her paper towel.

Say goodnight Gracie.


No comments:

Post a Comment