Saturday, October 27, 2012

My Kitchen Gadgets

     So I thought I might write about some things that are essential in my kitchen. Just things that make my life easier, therefore making everyone in my house happier.
      So without further ado....

   The Stick Blender
  That's what I call it, you stick it down in stuff and turn it on and voila blended.  This thing has come in so handy, and I find myself using it more and more. Tonight it was tomato soup. I am one of those people that I like to cook, and I like to cook from scratch a lot. My philosophy on eating healthy is the more prep work I have to do, the healthier it is. So, since we live in an area that has rain now and farmers market, I try to either grow some tomatoes, or I go to a market and get some canning tomatoes and can those. Which I did the latter this last time. This doesn't mean that I don't have help, this doesn't mean that I don't have chicken nuggets and fish sticks in my freezer, we just try to not eat them everyday. So, tonight we got home around dinner time, and we had a cold front move through so we had tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Grace does not like chunky tomato soup, so here comes the stick blender. Since we also try and eat some vegetables I threw in a couple handfuls of dried spinach, some dried herbs and hit it with the stick blender and we had tomato spinach soup. Not to shabby. And it had no chunks.
   The blender also fits in my widemouth jars I canned the tomatoes in, so I can open a jar throw in some garlic, onion, basil, chilies, whatever flavor you want, put the lid back on and let it sit. If I do it in the morning or around lunchtime, it has at least a few hours to hangout and then I hit it with my blender in the jar before even putting it in the pan and easy tomato sauce.
  It is also essential in making before bed snacks. I have one of those little boys. The ones with hollow legs and can eat all of his dinner have seconds and still get up at midnight because he's hungry.  So we do smoothies for bedtime snacks every now and then. Put some yogurt, some frozen fruit, some honey and some milk and you have a smoothie. Lately they are enjoying oatmeal smoothies, the most recent flavor of choice is cinnamon blueberry. YUM!!!

   It is an expense I understand, hello military family. However, there are so many versions to choose from and as long as you use it properly and don't burn the motor out. Not me, however my husband knows all about that first hand, which is why I am now on my second one, then they should last. In the past five and half years I have only had two.  But it has come in so handy, and takes up less space then the blender itself does. And the best part is I can take my blender to the food not have to put the food in the blender then pour it back again. Of course this can also make a mess, although I haven't made one as big as any I have ever made with the blender, just be careful and don't go crazy with it. Another plus is most come with little attachments like a little mini food processor. Which I used the other day to make the crust for a cheesecake. So, I love them they are great. I hope you enjoy the soup!!


Tomato Spinach Soup

32 oz tomatoes undrained
 2 cans tomato soup-the regular size
 2 cans water
dried garlic
dried onion
dried basil
we like garlic so I use quite at least a tablespoon, a palmful of onion and a couple tablespoons of basil.
feel free to use as much or as little as you like. I don't actually measure, I just kind of dump it in til it looks good. If you aren't sure always use less, you can always add more. Much better to say hey I'll use more next time then having to dump out a whole pot of soup.
Two handfuls of dried spinach, or you can use a package of frozen-it's soup so I wouldn't worry about thawing it or draining it before adding it to the pot, or a few handfuls of fresh, whatever is on hand.
 Note-Since I used dried spinach I also added about a cup of chicken stock to make sure there was enough liquid, use more if you need to get the consistency you like. If the frozen route gives you to much liquid take the lid off and let some excess simmer off til you reach the consistency you like.

Put everything in to the pot and blend it up. Bring to a simmer for fifteen-twenty minutes and serve.
We garnished with a dollop, about a teaspoon of heavy cream and some cooked orzo pasta. Enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment