Another fact about Grace is she was born in the Lowcountry. We are a military family and Jeff was stationed in South Carolina near the coast. Which is good because she loves shrimp. And I mean she loves shrimp, she will eat it any way you want to serve it. I have never seen her pass that little crustacean up. But I was introduced to a dish called Shrimp and Grits. I love it because you can do them any style you want to, with whatever you have on hand. Whether it's jalepenos or sun dried tomatoes, the dish just lends itself to whatever craving you are having that day. And even people in my family who don't like grits eat them this way.
So the day started with a recipe for Scallops with a Creamy Bacon Corn Sauce. All of which are in Grace's favorite food list, and the rest of us as well. The end result was Shrimp and Grits with a creamy Bacon Corn Sauce. Now in fairness the recipe did say that you could substitute shrimp or really any kind of seafood for the scallops. So without further ado Mom here is a shrimp and grits recipe you've been asking for.
Shrimp and Grits with a Creamy Bacon and Corn Sauce
1 Tbsp. oil
3 cups corn(frozen works fine)
1 lb. Shrimp shelled and deviened
4 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
1/2 dices tomato
1/2 cup bell pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup half and half
salt
pepper
spice blend of choice( I used Paprika, Cayenne and Garlic) Feel free to use what you like, the recipe called for a Tbsp. of blackening seasoning. We don't eat a lot of very spicy
Grits of choice just follow directions on the package.
First, preheat a large saute pan on medium-high for 2 minutes. Season your shrimp with some salt and pepper. Place the oil in the pan, then add the shrimp. Cook until pink and opaque. About 5-6 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm.
Next, add bacon to same pan and cook until crisp. Drain bacon fat, keeping one Tbsp in the pan. stir in tomato, bell pepper, and onion and cook until soft. While the vegetables are cooking stir together seasoning, half-and-half and the corn. Add this to the vegetables.
Then , reduce heat to medium-low, cook 5 more minutes stirring frequently so things don't stick.
Serve over grits and top with shrimp.
Now we topped it with some Parmesan cheese, Grace's favorite. As for the spices I did not measure, I really believe that if you don't like something don't use it, so throw a little bit in and taste it. You can always add more.
Hope you enjoy!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment